Chidimma UCHEGBU, Abuja
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board JAMB says it has registered over 1.6 million candidates for the 2023 Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME).
JAMB Registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, disclosed this at the end of a joint monitoring exercise with the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Education, Mr David Adejo, in Abuja on Monday.
Oloyede, also disclosed that registration for direct entry candidates commenced this Monday.
The JAMB boss who said 15 culprits were arrested in the cause of the UTME added that they have been apprehended and are currently detained.
According to him, “So far we have registered about 1.6 million candidates because we do not expect more than that, and that is because the direct entry starts today.
“We have the challenge of the normal people who want to defraud the process as we have been monitoring what has been happening.
Earlier, the Permanent Secretary Mr. David Adejoh said the decision to extend the UTME registration timeframe was to give others faced with the challenges opportunity to register.
“This is especially because the registration process is dependent on bank operations and we have not had the top level of bank operations in the last two to three weeks for understandable reasons,” he said.”
Adejo noted that before the extension of registration for one week, JAMB had actually registered about 98 percent of candidates, saying that no one would be left behind in its registration process.